Metal + Water Reactions Tutorial
- Not all metals react with water.
- Metals that react with water produce a metal hydroxide and hydrogen gas:
metal + water → metal hydroxide + hydrogen gas
- The ease with which a metal reacts is known as its activity.
A more active metal will react more readily with water than a less active metal.
- In general, Group 1 (IA or alkali) metals and Group 2 (IIA or alkaline earth) metals are more active than transition metals.
- Silver, gold and platinum are not active metals. They are known as noble metals1 (or as inactive metals).
Please do not block ads on this website.
No ads = no money for us = no free stuff for you!