Oxidation and Reduction Concepts Tutorial
- Oxidation: an atom or ion loses one or more electrons (e-):
reactant → products Oxidation reaction: M → M+ + e-
- Oxidation reaction: electrons (e-) are a product of the oxidation reaction.
- Oxidation reaction: the atom or ion becomes more positive due to the loss of negatively charged electrons.
- Reduction: an atom or ion gains one or more electrons (e-):
reactants → product Reduction reaction: X + e- → X-
- Reduction: electrons (e-) are a reactant in the reduction reaction.
- In a reduction reaction, the atom or ion beomes more negative due to the gain of negatively charged electrons.