Gravimetric Analysis Tutorial
- Gravimetric analysis is the quantitative isolation of a substance by precipitation and weighing of the precipitate.1
- An analyte is the substance to be analysed.
- A precipitating reagent is the reactant used to precipitate the analyte.2
- The precipitate must be a pure substance of definite chemical composition.
- One advantage of gravimetric analysis compared to volumetric analysis (titrimetric analysis) is that there is greater likelihood of any impurities being seen, and therefore a correction can be applied.
- One disadvantage of gravimetric analysis is that it is generally more time-consuming.
- Gravimetric analysis can be used to determine the: