Ligands and Complex Ions Chemistry Tutorial
- A ligand, or complexing agent, is a polar molecule or ion bonded to a central metal ion.
- A complex ion is a polyatomic species consisting of a central metal ion surrounded by several ligands.
- Naming Complex Ions:
- Writing the Formula of a Complex:
- The coordination number of the complex ion is the number of bonds formed between the central metal ion and its ligands.
- The shape (geometry) of a complex ion is related to its coordination number.
2 linear 4 tetrahedral