Yield Calculations Chemistry Tutorial
- Yield is the mass of product formed in a chemical reaction.
- Actual yield is the mass of product formed in an experiment or industrial process.
- Theoretical yield is the mass of product predicted by the balanced chemical equation for the reaction.
- Percentage yield = (actual yield ÷ theoretical yield) × 100
- Optimum yield is the best possible yield achieved for a set of given reaction conditions.
- For a chemical reaction which goes to completion(1):
actual yield = theoretical yield
so, percentage yield = 100%
- For a chemical reaction at equilibrium(2):
actual yield < theoretical yield
so, percentage yield < 100%
- For a chemical reaction at equilibrium, actual yield can be affected by factors such as:
⚛ pressure and volume (gaseous systems)