Properties and Classification of Acids and Bases Tutorial
- Many substances can be classified as either acids or bases based on their properties.
- An acid is a substance that has acidic properties.
- A base is a substance that has basic properties.
- An acid that dissolves in a solvent such as water is said to form an acidic solution.
- A base that is soluble in water is also called an alkali.
The aqueous solution of a base can be referred to as a basic solution or as an alkaline solution.
- Acids and bases can also be further classified based on whether or not they contain carbon:
(i) Inorganic acids (mineral acids) and inorganic bases do not contain carbon.
(ii) Organic acids and organic bases do contain carbon.
NOTE: Carbonic acid, H2CO3, is an exception. It is classed as an inorganic acid even though it contains carbon.